We have different types of Loaner Kits available to public libraries in Georgia. These kits allow libraries to use new technology in library activities and “try before you buy” new equipment.
The Loaner Kits available include:
- GLASS’ Assistive Technology for Persons with Special Needs for Adapted Equipment
- HomePLACE DigiKits
- Poseidon Aquarium Kit
- Emerging Technology
We encourage libraries to use these kits frequently, to ask questions and, most importantly, to have fun playing with these technologies and materials!
The equipment available in each kit will vary, as will the reservation process. Please check with the individual departments for details.
Loaner Kit Policy
Reservation of any of the Loaner Kits requires acceptance of the Georgia Public Library Service (GPLS) Loaner Kit Use Policy, below.
GPLS Loaner Kit Use Policy
Any library system in Georgia may borrow a Georgia Public Library Service Loaner Kit for the purposes of providing hands-on familiarization, training, programming, project work and patron services with modern digital technology and/or strategic partnership toolkits. The contents of each Loaner Kit vary, and kits are available through multiple GPLS departments.
Requests must be made two weeks from the date required. Loan periods for the different Loaner Kits vary from two weeks to three months, but a longer loan period may be negotiated by request to the owning department.
The borrowing library must accept this Loaner Kit Use Policy when requesting kits.
Responsibilities of the Georgia Public Library Service:
- House and maintain the kits and relevant devices and, if applicable, linked vendor accounts;
- Provide kit carrying cases for safe transport via the PINES Courier Service or in-person pick-up/drop-off;
- Answer questions pertaining to the reservation and use of the Loaner Kits.
Responsibilities of the borrowing library:
- Complete and submit this Loaner Kit Use Policy and the appropriate Loaner Kit Reservation Form or PINES reservation;
- Inform GPLS of any damages to or loss of the Loaner Kit, its components or carrying cases;
- Return the Loaner Kit and all components by the designated due date via the PINES Courier Service or in-person pick-up/drop-off;
- Complete a follow-up survey for GPLS statistical purposes;
- Complete any additional requirements specific to the type of kit being requested.