We’re here to help
The Georgia Public Library Service works with public libraries to improve the quality and variety of library services available to Georgia citizens of all ages. Some of the services we provide are: technology and facilities consultation, training for librarians and staff, support for PINES, reporting and advocacy support, and administration of state and federal grants for the benefit of local libraries and library users.
We help libraries by:
- Providing and encouraging visionary leadership;
- Ensuring equal access to information and technology;
- Promoting the value and joy of lifelong reading and learning; and
- Facilitating collaboration and innovation in the broader library community.
COVID Reopening Resources
Public libraries are a unique community anchor institution. Our doors are open to all, and while that makes us so vital to our communities, it also means that we have unique risks. Given these unique risks, and the fact that many of our patrons are in high risk categories, we’ve been careful to closely correlate our recommendations with those of the CDC, the White House, and the Governor’s Office.
These guidelines were created by the Regents Public Library Advisory Committee (RPLAC), which represents the state public library systems before the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia.
Departments and Services
These toolkits will help you promote GPLS and federally-funded initiatives at your library. You’ll find images, customizable graphics, suggested key messages for social media and links to additional resources from the American Library Association.
The GPLS 2016 Trustee Handbook is an overview of the basic information needed by library trustees to be effective board members and library advocates. The library trustee is a part of the decision-making team that oversees the public library, one of the fundamental institutions of our democracy. Thank you for your enthusiasm, preparation and dedication to your community.
Resources for Trustees: Handbook Appendix
The Appendix of the Trustee Handbook includes a variety of resources. The following content consists of PDF files and requires Adobe Reader.
Board Functions, Library Policies, & Sample Forms
- Constitutions and Bylaws for Georgia’s Public Libraries
- Georgia’s Open Meetings/Open Records Laws
- Sample Board Agenda
- Sample Affidavit for Closed Session
- Sample Director Evaluation Form
- Sample Board Evaluation Form
- Evaluation Summation Form
- Sample Request for Reconsideration of Library Materials
- Personnel Policies for Georgia Public Libraries