The Library Planning and Construction department helps communities build new libraries or revitalize existing structures and serves as an advisor between them and state funding agencies.
Staff assist with the planning and funding of construction, remodeling, energy conservation, emergency preparedness, accessibility, space planning, and budgeting.
Planning and Construction manages two major programs for funding libraries: Capital Outlay and Major Repair and Renovation (MRR).
Capital Outlay Grants
This is a matching-funds program primarily for new library construction that also provides financial aid for full-facility renovations and large additions to existing facilities. Funding is allocated by state legislation and funded by General Obligation bonds through the Georgia State Financing and Investment Commission.
Major Repair and Renovation (MRR) Grants
MRR is also a matching-funds program that assists library facilities with deferred maintenance projects and improvements. Typical projects range from structural issues to roof repair and HVAC replacement. It also assists with upgrades needed to help libraries meet the Americans with Disabilities Act’s Standards for Accessible Design.
FY 2018 BUDGET CAPITAL OUTLAY REQUESTS GEORGIA’S PUBLIC LIBRARIES
Includes key information, funding justification, impact/benefits and photos of the library projects listed. Download the full outlay ( PDF)
- Construction Payment Request Form(XLS)
- Public Library Buildings Cooperative Capital Outlay Program, FY 2009(PDF)
- Construction Grant Application(XLS)
- Requirements for Capital Outlay Grant Funds(PDF)
- GPLS Capital Outlay Requirements Checklist(PDF)
- 2030 Georgia Population Projections(PDF)
MRR Grant Documents
- MRR Grant Application updated 5-4-2017 (XLS)
- MRR Grant Guidelines revised November 2016 (PDF)
- MRR Grant Payment Request revised 03-2017 (XLS)
- Building Maintenance and Emergency Preparedness (from Georgia Library Quarterly)
- GSFIC Request for Reimbursement Policy, 7-1-11 (PDF)
- Usage of Bond Proceeds (PDF)
LINKS OF INTEREST