The Library Planning and Construction department helps communities build new libraries or revitalize existing structures and serves as an advisor between them and state funding agencies.
Staff assist with the planning and funding of construction, remodeling, energy conservation, emergency preparedness, accessibility, space planning, and budgeting.
Planning and Construction manages two major programs for funding libraries: Capital Outlay and Major Repair and Renovation (MRR).
Capital Outlay Grants
This is a matching-funds program primarily for new library construction that also provides financial aid for full-facility renovations and large additions to existing facilities. Funding is allocated by state legislation and funded by General Obligation bonds through the Georgia State Financing and Investment Commission.
Major Repair and Renovation (MRR) Grants
MRR is also a matching-funds program that assists library facilities with deferred maintenance projects and improvements. Typical projects range from structural issues to roof repair and HVAC replacement. It also assists with upgrades needed to help libraries meet the Americans with Disabilities Act’s Standards for Accessible Design.
Director of Library Planning and Construction
FY2017 Fact Sheet
FY 2023 BUDGET CAPITAL OUTLAY REQUESTS | Georgia Public Libraries
Includes key information, funding justification, impact/benefits and photos of the library projects listed.
GA Procurement Registry
The Georgia Procurement Registry (GPR) is the state’s central bid registry established by the Department of Administrative Services (DOAS) and managed by the State Purchasing Division (SPD) of DOAS. The registry is also the public policy tool for notification to suppliers for bid opportunities with state entities and local governments to ensure transparency and offer market competition.
- Construction Payment Request Form updated 05-2023 (XLS)
- Public Library Buildings Cooperative Capital Outlay Program, FY 2009 (PDF)
- Construction Grant Application (XLS)
- Requirements for Capital Outlay Grant Funds (PDF)
- GPLS Capital Outlay Requirements Checklis t(PDF)
- 2030 Georgia Population Projection s(PDF)
MRR Grant Documents
- FY23 MRR Grant Application revised May 2021 (XLS)
- MRR Grant Guidelines revised December 2020 (PDF)
- MRR Grant Payment Request updated 05-2023 (XLS)
- Building Maintenance and Emergency Preparedness (from Georgia Library Quarterly)
- GSFIC Request for Reimbursement Policy, 7-1-11 (PDF)
- Usage of Bond Proceeds (PDF)