While libraries are closed to prevent the spread of COVID-19, be sure to keep sharing your online resources and virtual programming with social media followers.
If you have a story of how your library is serving your community, please share on social media using #GeorgiaLibraries and #LibrariesStrong.
How to use this toolkit
Each bullet below is a sentence or phrase you can copy and use on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or other social media. You can use them “as-is” or combine them with messages you are already using.
Also, follow the linked resources for additional resources if needed.
Remember, if you have a story of how your library is serving your community, please share on social media using #GeorgiaLibraries and #LibrariesStrong.
Virtual Service Ideas
- Need help accessing ebooks? Call a librarian at …..
- We are still offering curbside dropoff/pickup….
- Watch our weekly storytime on Facebook live each day at …..
- Need research tips? We can help! Call a librarian at….//chat with a librarian at….
- Did you know that students of all ages can freely access @galileolibrary from home to find resources not freely available online? #georgialibraries https://galileo.usg.edu
- Another reason to love your #GeorgiaLibraries card: you get free access to @mangolanguages, which features over 72 foreign language courses. https://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=ango @galileolibrary
- Looking for college prep tests? Your local library can help. Check out Learning Express on @galileolibrary with your GA public library card for easy, online, and free resources. #georgialibraries #georgialibraries https://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zxle
- Learning Express through @galileolibrary has online math and reading skills improvement tests for grade 4 through College. From numbers and operations to Quantitative Comparison and Word Problems, Learning Express Library has your kids covered. Go to https://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zxle and enter your public library system password.
- “Is your 4th grader already done with their homework? Check out the Reading & Math skills in Learning Express Library Go to https://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zxle and enter your public library system password.
- Prep for your GED in English and Spanish through Learning Express. Go to https://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zxle and enter your public library system password.
- Prepare for your Citizenship Exam in English or Spanish through Learning Express @galileolibrary Go to https://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zxle and enter your public library system password.
- Tackle simple legal tasks with help from Gale Legal Forms Go to https://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zglf and enter your public library system password.
- Research your family tree with HeritageQuest through @galileolibrary. HeritageQuest Online provides genealogical and historical sources for more than 60 countries, with coverage dating back as early as the 1700s. https://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zuhq
- GALILEO is Georgia’s virtual library. You can use it to access articles, eBooks, historical documents and photos, and much more. Go to https://galileo.usg.edu and enter your public library system password or PINES card number.
- Ancestry Library Edition is freely available within @galileolibrary through April 30! Check it out with your public library password or PINES card number: https://www.galileo.usg.edu/welcome/ #georgialibraries
GALILEO has also created a “GALILEO at Home” user guide:
- Now is the perfect time to get started with eRead Kids! Your library card gives you free access to 15,000 electronic and audio books for children from pre-k through fourth grade. georgialibraries.org/ereadkids #GeorgiaLibraries
- While school is out, keep your kids reading with eRead Kids, a free resource available through all public libraries in GA. You just need your library card number and PIN: georgialibraries.org/ereadkids #GeorgiaLibraries
- Checkout the new ebooks and audiobooks in eRead Kids – we just added 2,110 additional titles!
- All public libraries in Georgia offer FREE access to Entrepreneurial Mindset Training, an online, self-paced course focused on the attitudes and thinking that lead to entrepreneurial success. georgialibraries.org/eli #GeorgiaLibraries
- Discover your business potential with online, self-paced #entrepreneurial mindset training through #georgialibraries. Learn more and get started here: https://georgialibraries.org/eli/
- Learn how to identify, evaluate and transform your business ideas into a sustainable success with entrepreneurial mindset training. Keep learning while you’re home through this free resource available through #georgialibraries https://georgialibraries.org/eli/
GLASS (Georgia Libraries for Accessible Statewide Services)
- While GLASS Atlanta is closed, patrons can still access digital braille and audio books through BARD and BARD Mobile
- GLASS staff will be answering our phones to assist customers with GLASS resources including digital talking books, BARD, BARD Mobile, Bookshare and more!
- www.georgialibraries.org/glass/ or call 800-248-6701 Keep reading.
- Looking for homeschooling resources? Georgia Historic Newspapers gives you free access to over 1.5 million newspaper pages–perfect for your next social studies, journalism, or vocabulary lesson! Visit https://gahistoricnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu/. #georgialibraries
- Need activities for your curious kids? #ProTip: Use the Georgia Historic Newspapers portal to see what was going on in your region 100 years ago. Write down five interesting facts you learned! Visit https://gahistoricnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu/. #georgialibraries
- What events were making news in Georgia on the day you were born? Use the advanced search feature in the Georgia Historic Newspapers portal to look up your DOB. https://gahistoricnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu/ Can’t find the exact date? Expand your search nationally using Chronicling America. https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/newspapers/
- Every year, Georgia’s public libraries support the addition of tens of thousands of digitized newspaper pages to the Georgia Historic Newspapers portal. Just one more way public libraries support history in the making. https://gahistoricnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu/ #georgialibraries
- Are you a social studies educator charged with #distancelearning? Check out the grade-level primary source sets available from the @Digital Library of Georgia. They’re GSE-aligned and best of all: they’re free! #georgialibraries
- Your local library may be closed, but you can still explore unique local history resources from the comfort of your home. Visit https://georgialibraries.org/homeplace/homeplace-projects/#individuallibraryprojects for a complete list of digitized, historical public library resources. #georgialibraries
- Did you know that Georgia has Sanborn maps available online dating back to 1881? Look up nearby streets, buildings, or landmarks and see how they’ve changed! https://dlg.usg.edu/collection/dlg_sanb #georgialibraries
- Do your kids love looking at old maps? Then check out Georgia’s collection of digitized Sanborn maps available in the @Digital Library of Georgia! Use the key do identify color-coded building materials, railroad tracks, and more. https://dlg.usg.edu/collection/dlg_sanb #georgialibraries
- The @Digital Library of Georgia has a whole section of Free to Use images: use your computer to gif-ify an old photo, brush up on your image editing skills, or design a short video for your friends! See the collection at http://bit.ly/2WlD0As. #georgialibraries
- Our partner Center for Puppetry Arts is hosting FREE Digital Learning experiences including workshops, puppet shows and museum tours! https://puppet.org/center-for-puppetry-arts-home/
- Get some outdoor time with your family while learning to fish: Our partner the Go Fish Education Center is open for their regular hours Friday through Sunday. Families can also check out Into the Outdoors, a free streaming video education platform on conservation of wildlife, ecosystems, agriculture, and environment.http://intotheoutdoors.org/
- Entertain and educate your kids through the Georgia Aquarium’s live aquatic webcams. https://www.georgiaaquarium.org/webcam/beluga-whale-webcam/
- The Georgia Farm Bureau is hosting virtual activities on their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pg/GeorgiaFarmBureau
- Teach your kids about agriculture in Georgia through the Georgia Farm Bureau’s Ag in the Classroom https://www.gfb.org/ag-in-the-classroom/curricculum.cms
- The Museum of History and Holocaust Education at Kennesaw State University has educational online components to their exhibits like Georgia Journeys: Legacies of World War II.
- Our friends at the Michael C. Carlos Museum have Digital Projects for all to enjoy, especially check out Greece Odyssey Online.
- Visit the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame List of Inductees to find out who from your hometown is a Georgia sports hero.
- Zoo Atlanta has a wonderful educational guide for the animals they’re protecting at https://zooatlanta.org/animals/