Georgia Archives Month
October is Georgia Archives Month
2021 Theme: A Salute to Medicine: A celebration of the medical profession and the archives that document the field
Georgia Public Library Service is a proud supporter of Georgia Archives Month. Since 2006, Archives Month has given the profession an opportunity to tell (or remind) people that items that are important to them are being preserved, cataloged, cared for, and made accessible by archivists and librarians.
To see examples of how Georgia’s libraries and archives are responding to and documenting the pandemic, check out the Coronavirus Chronicles, an index to projects taking place around the state.
Use the resources below to promote the value of archives and local history collections.
Jump to a section
Talking Points on the Power of Archives
This printable infographic (PDF) has phrases and ideas you can use to help communities and stakeholders understand the important role of archives and archivists.
More from the Society of American Archivists:
Friday, October 1, 2021
Friday, October 8, 2021
Electronic Records Day
Wednesday, October 13, 2021
Twitter chat and Instagram takeover
- #AskAnArchivistDay is an opportunity to break down the barriers that make archivists seem inaccessible and interact with users, supporters, and prospective supporters about the value of archives.
- More info: https://www2.archivists.org/initiatives/askanarchivist-day
Wednesday, October 20-22, 2021
Society of Georgia Archivists Virtual Annual Meeting
Wednesday, October 27, 2021
World Day for Audiovisual Heritage
Messages for social media
- October is #GAArchivesMonth! #Georgia’s 2021 theme is “A Salute to Medicine”, a celebration of the medical profession and the archives that support the field. Follow @GAArchivesMonth on social media for useful tips, resources, and information.
- It’s Georgia Archives Month! During the month of October, archives and libraries remind people that items that are important to them are being preserved, cataloged, cared for, and made accessible by archivists and librarians. #GAarchivesmonth #GeorgiaLibraries
- Celebrate Georgia Archives Month virtually with thousands of free-to-use images and items in the @DigitalLibraryofGA. Reuse, remix, gif it up, or explore! Visit https://dlg.usg.edu. #GAarchivesmonth #PeopleLoveArchives
Publicize your Archives Month Activities
Publicize your Archives Month event! Fill out this form to have the Georgia Archives Month Committee promote your events on its social media platforms.
View these webinars for strategies to publicize your collections.
Archivists Elevator Speech
Advocate for your library’s archives and special collections by being prepared with a clear and engaging elevator speech. Use this resource as a guide to building your personalized pitch.
Link to A Public Library Archivists’ Guide to Crafting an Elevator Speech
Archives Change Lives: Impact Stories
Use the video (find it here) and this collection of stories from the Society of American Archivists to demonstrate how archives change lives and improve communities.
A set of various resources related to Archives Month events and more.
Printable poster graphic, designed by the Society of Georgia Archivists.
Customizable Website Graphics
Add your logo and share these graphics on social media and/or your website to raise aware of Georgia Archives Month.
Photos used in these graphics are available in the Digital Library of Georgia.
Share these graphics on social media and/or your website to raise aware of Georgia Archives Month.
Photos in these graphics are from the Digital Library of Georgia.
More graphics from the Society of American Archivists
Visit the Society of American Archivists website for more graphics for web and social media.
Archives Month on Social Media
Use these whenever you talk about archives on social media.
Social Media Profiles